2025 NBA Draft

Draft Notes: Quaintance, Martinelli, Hubbard, Mock Draft

Arizona State freshman forward Jayden Quaintance underwent knee surgery on March 19 for a tear in his right ACL, writes Jonathan Givony of ESPN. Quaintance, who is seen as a potential top-five prospect in the 2026 draft, is also entering the NCAA transfer portal to seek out his next collegiate opportunity, according to Givony.

“He’s already ahead of schedule, the doctor says, and should be cleared for contact in September,” his father Haminn Quaintance said.

With the 2025/26 season slated to tip off in November, that recovery timeline sounds optimal.

“I’m planning on coming back better than last year,” the younger Quaintance told ESPN. “I’m already attacking my rehab aggressively.”

A Big 12 All-Freshman and All-Defensive teamer, Quaintance logged averages of 9.3 points, 7.8 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks per game in his debut college season. Quaintance, born in 2007, graduated high school a year early, so he is not eligible to declare for the NBA until next year’s draft. He was the youngest player in college basketball this season, Givony notes.

There’s more from the upcoming draft:

  • Northwestern swingman Nick Martinelli, the leading scorer in the Big Ten this season, is testing the draft waters while retaining his college eligibility, per Givony (Twitter link). The 6’7″ forward, who averaged 20.5 PPG in 2024/25 for the Wildcats, would remain at Northwestern – rather than transferring – were he to return to the NCAA. Martinelli was not among the top 100 prospects on Givony’s latest 2025 pre-draft big board.
  • Two-time All-SEC Mississippi State guard Josh Hubbard will declare for the 2025 draft, but plans to preserve his collegiate eligibility, the 5’10” NBA hopeful informed Joe Tipton of On3 Sports (via Twitter). Tipton is also not among Givony’s top 100. In 34 contests this season, the sophomore registered averages of 18.9 PPG, 3.1 APG and 2.1 RPG. He posted shooting splits of .402/.345/.878.
  • In his latest 2025 mock draft, Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report highlights the upside of three intriguing prospects out of Florida and speculates about the appeal of two potential picks out of Auburn, big man Johni Broome and guard Tahaad Pettiford.

Oklahoma’s Jeremiah Fears Entering 2025 NBA Draft

Oklahoma guard Jeremiah Fears has decided to go pro following his freshman year, announcing today on ESPN’s The Paul Finebaum Show that he’ll enter the 2025 NBA draft and forgo his remaining NCAA eligibility, as Jonathan Givony of ESPN relays.

Fears, who ranks No. 7 on ESPN’s list of this year’s top 100 prospects, averaged 17.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 4.1 assists, and 1.6 steals in 30.2 minutes per game in 2024/25, earning a spot on the SEC’s All-Freshman team and helping the Sooners claim a berth in the NCAA Tournament.

According to Givony, Fears’ combination of “size, speed, pace, shot-creation, shot-making and scoring instincts” makes him one of the top backcourt prospects in this year’s draft. He’s also one of the youngest players in the 2025 draft class — he won’t turn 19 until October.

Givony has expressed some reservations about Fears’ defense, which needs improvement. And it’s worth noting that the 18-year-old sometimes struggled with his shot as a freshman, making just 28.4% of 3.9 three-point attempts per game.

However, Fears’ stock remains high enough that he doesn’t feel the need to test the draft waters and leave the door open for a second college season.

Liam McNeeley To Enter 2025 NBA Draft

UConn forward Liam McNeeley is entering the 2025 NBA draft, he tells Jonathan Givony of ESPN (Twitter link).

McNeeley, a 19-year-old coming off his freshman year, averaged 14.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 2.3 assists in 32.1 minutes per game across 27 outings (26 starts) for the Huskies. He was the Big East Freshman of the Year and earned a spot on the All-Big East third team.

Although McNeeley was viewed entering his college career as an efficient outside shooter, the 6’7″ forward made just 38.1% of his attempts from the floor and 31.7% of his three-pointers during his freshman season. However, Givony and fellow ESPN draft expert Jeremy Woo still have McNeeley ranked 14th overall on their top-100 list, projecting him as a potential lottery pick.

Givony and Woo say that the youngster’s “positional size, feel for the game, toughness, and versatility” continue to appeal to NBA teams, adding that he was probably given too much shot-creating responsibility on a team that lacked dynamic ball handlers.

Givony’s report doesn’t mention anything about McNeeley testing the draft waters while retaining his NCAA eligibility, so it sounds like his intention is to go pro.

Rutgers’ Dylan Harper Declares For NBA Draft

Rutgers freshman Dylan Harper, one of the top prospects in this year’s draft class, announced on ESPN’s NBA Today on Monday that he’ll be entering the 2025 NBA draft (Twitter video link).

The decision comes as no surprise, as Harper has long been considered a strong bet to be one of the first players off the board this June. He ranks second overall on ESPN’s board behind only Duke freshman Cooper Flagg, notes draft expert Jonathan Givony.

A 6’6″ point guard and the son of five-time NBA champion Ron Harper, Dylan averaged 19.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, 4.0 assists, and 1.4 steals in 32.6 minutes per game in 29 outings during his first and only college season. He posted a shooting line of .484/.333/.750 and was named to the All-Big Ten third team.

Harper broke Rutgers’ freshman scoring record and finished fifth in the Big Ten in points per game, according to Givony, who says the 19-year-old has drawn comparisons in NBA circles to a young James Harden.

“NBA teams saw I am an all-around player,” Harper said. “I can do whatever it takes to win. Whether it’s score, defend or facilitate. Anything coach needs me to do.”

Here are a few more prospects entering the 2025 draft:

  • St. John’s junior forward RJ Luis is declaring for the draft while maintaining his remaining college eligibility and entering the NCAA’s transfer portal, agent Sam Permut tells Givony (Twitter link). Luis had a big year as a junior, averaging 18.2 points and 7.2 rebounds per game en route to Big East Player of the Year honors. He ranked 72nd overall on ESPN’s top-100 list as of last week.
  • Oregon senior big man Nathan Bittle will be testing the draft waters while retaining his final year of college eligibility, he announced on Instagram. The No. 96 prospect on ESPN’s board, Bittle averaged 14.2 points, 7.6 rebounds, and 2.1 blocks in 27.7 minutes per game across 35 starts this season, earning spots on the All-Big Ten third team and the conference’s All-Defensive team.
  • Following his junior season, Vanderbilt guard Jason Edwards is heading back into the transfer portal while testing the NBA draft waters, he tells Joe Tipton of On3 Sports (Twitter link). Edwards, who transferred from North Texas a year ago, averaging 17.0 points per game for the Commodores in 2024/25.
  • Jacksonville State senior guard Jaron Pierre will test the NBA draft waters while entering the transfer portal, tweets Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports. Pierre isn’t on ESPN’s top-100 list but ranked first among all Conference USA players with 21.6 points per game in 2024/25. He knocked down 38.2% of a career-high 7.6 three-point attempts per game.

Thomas Sorber To Enter Draft While Maintaining Eligibility

Georgetown forward/center Thomas Sorber is entering the 2025 NBA draft while maintaining his college eligibility, he tells Jonathan Givony of ESPN.

According to Givony, Sorber wasn’t viewed as a one-and-done candidate entering his freshman season in the fall, but he quickly moved up draft boards with his impressive play for the Hoyas. He’s currently ranked No. 24 on ESPN’s big board (Insider link), making him a projected first-round pick.

Sam Vecenie of The Athletic is even higher on Sorber, writing that no NBA teams he’s spoken to recently have the 19-year-old outside of the first round, with several projecting him to land in the teens. He’s No. 12 on Vecenie’s latest mock draft, despite the fact that he underwent season-ending foot surgery last month, which will likely cause him to miss much of the pre-draft process.

In 24 games in 2024/25, Sorber averaged 14.5 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.5 steals and 2.0 blocks in 31.3 minutes per contest. His shooting slash line was .532/.162/.724 (he was 6-of-37 from long distance, so pretty low volume).

I am the type of player who will always make the right play,” Sorber told Givony. “I can do a little bit of everything — pass, rebound, sit down, and switch onto guards. Read plays and come from the weakside for blocks. I have a good touch. A feel for the game. But the main thing is to try and help my team win. Everyone says they want to be like (Nikola) Jokic. I also like to watch Bam Adebayo. His hustle, the way he’s expanded his game and switches from 1-5.”

Draft Notes: Stirtz, Byrd, Big Boards, Early Entrants

After starring at Drake as a junior, guard Bennett Stirtz intends to follow head coach Ben McCollum from the Bulldogs to the Hawkeyes by transferring to Iowa for next season, Tyler Tachman of the Des Moines Register confirms. While the plan is for him to make the move to Iowa, Stirtz will also test the NBA draft waters this spring, he told Tachman.

Stirtz averaged 19.2 points, 5.7 assists, 4.3 rebounds, and 2.1 steals per game with a .498/.395/.794 shooting line in 2024/25 and led Drake to a first-round victory over Missouri in the NCAA Tournament last week. He’s currently the No. 35 prospect on ESPN’s big board, suggesting he’d have a good chance to get drafted if he decides to go pro this year.

ESPN’s No. 50 prospect, San Diego State guard Miles Byrd, is also declaring for the 2025 draft while maintaining his college eligibility, he announced on Instagram. Byrd became a full-time starter as a redshirt sophomore this season and put up 12.3 PPG, 4.4 RPG, 2.7 APG, and 2.1 SPG in 30 outings.

Byrd has flashed impressive defensive tools but has struggled to score efficiently, making just 38.1% of his shots from the floor this season, including 30.1% of his three-pointers. He had just four points and committed three turnovers in the Aztecs’ First Four loss to UNC last week.

Here are a few more draft-related notes:

Potential First-Round Pick Alex Toohey Declares For Draft

Potential first-round pick Alex Toohey has declared for this year’s NBA draft, according to SydneyKings.com. Toohey confirmed his decision on social media (Twitter link).

Toohey played for Australia’s Sydney Kings as part of the NBL’s Next Stars program. He started in 25 of the 29 games he played, averaging 10.6 points, 4.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals per contest.

Toohey, a 6’7” wing, is currently ranked No. 31 overall on The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie’s Big Board. ESPN’s Jonathan Givony slots Toohey at No. 37.

Toohey, who turns 21 in May, is an Australian native. He originally committed to play in the U.S. for Gonzaga in 2022 but decided the following year to enter the Next Stars program.

Nine Next Stars have been drafted in the past five years: LaMelo Ball (No. 3, 2020), R.J. Hampton (No. 24, 2020), Josh Giddey (No. six, 2021), Ousmane Dieng (No. 11, 2022), Rayan Rupert (No. 43, 2023), Alex Sarr (No. two, 2024), AJ Johnson (No. 23, 2024), Bobi Klintman (No. 37, 2024) and Ariel Hukporti (No. 58, 2024).

And-Ones: Gores, WNBA, Micic, Bibby, Williams, NIL

A new development plan for the Detroit riverfront includes building a multi-sports complex that would support the city’s bid to gain a WNBA franchise, JC Reindl of the Detroit Free Press reports. Pistons owner Tom Gores and a team of local investors plan to use the site to host the team’s practice facility and headquarters. The Pistons and their G League affiliate, the Motor City Cruise, play their games in downtown Detroit.

Reports surfaced in late January that Detroit was one of the cities bidding for a new WNBA franchise.

We have more from around the international basketball world:

  • Anadolu Efes guard and former NBA player Shane Larkin said that Suns guard Vasilije Micic could wind up in the EuroLeague next season, as Eurohoops.net relays. “Me and Vasa talk all the time. He’s one of my good friends,” Larkin said, per Meridian Sports. “Obviously we have a lot of history together. And, you know, he’s happy where he’s at, but he’s definitely open to opportunities.” Micic has appeared in just two games with Phoenix since he was traded by Charlotte. Phoenix holds an $8.1MM option on Micic’s contract for next season, which is a virtual lock to be declined.
  • Mike Bibby, a 14-year NBA veteran, has agreed to become the head coach at Sacramento State, ESPN’s Shams Charania reports. Bibby played the prime of his career with the Kings.
  • Kam Williams of Tulane will test the NBA draft waters, Jonathan Givony of ESPN tweets. The 6’8” wing was named to the American Athletic Conference All-Freshman Team after averaging 9.3 points per game and shooting 41% on 3-point tries in his first college season.
  • Writing for The Stein Line (Substack link), Jake Fischer interviews agent Daniel Poneman regarding the NIL and how it impacts the NBA draft and college basketball.

And-Ones: Rebuilding Teams, Free Agency, Flagg, NBL

Among 11 NBA teams in various stages of their respective rebuilds, the Spurs are best positioned for the long run, according to Tim Bontemps of ESPN (Insider link). San Antonio’s place atop the rankings has a lot to do with the presence of Victor Wembanyama on the roster, but Bontemps points to Stephon Castle, Devin Vassell, and recently acquired point guard De’Aaron Fox as other likely core pieces for the Spurs, who could end up with two more lottery picks this spring.

Interestingly, Bontemps places the Hornets and Wizards at No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, on his rebuild rankings, praising Charlotte in particular for its promising collection of young talent. The Trail Blazers and Bulls come in at 10th and 11th on Bontemps’ list, largely because there are questions about whether either team has a franchise player to build around and whether they’ll be in position to land one in the draft anytime soon.

Here are a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world:

  • John Hollinger of The Athletic highlights several of the challenging situations that teams will face in free agency this summer, including the Cavaliers with Ty Jerome, the Nuggets with Russell Westbrook, the Kings with Jake LaRavia, and the Sixers with Quentin Grimes and Guerschon Yabusele. Many of those clubs will be limited in what they can offer their free agents, either due to a lack of full Bird rights or tax/apron concerns.
  • Meanwhile, Yossi Gozlan of The Third Apron (Substack link) looks ahead to 2026 and explains why next year’s star-studded free agent class will likely be something of a mirage, given all the contract extensions likely to be signed between now and then.
  • ESPN draft experts Jonathan Givony and Jeremy Woo (Insider link) spoke to 10 NBA executives about projected No. 1 overall pick Cooper Flagg, surveying those execs on the Duke freshman’s strengths and weaknesses, his odds of winning a title with the Blue Devils, and whether there’s any chance he decides to stay in school for another year. “I can’t remember a No. 1 pick deciding to go back to school,” one Eastern Conference scout told ESPN.
  • Ahead of the NBA playing its first games in Australia this fall, a battle over the ownership of the country’s National Basketball League appears to be brewing. Olgun Uluc of ESPN Australia has the story.

And-Ones: Morris, Morey, NCAA Tourney, 2025 Draft

Appearing on the latest episode of The Kevin O’Connor Show podcast, veteran forward Marcus Morris, who is currently a free agent, was asked by Kevin O’Connor of Yahoo Sports about Daryl Morey‘s recent comments about using AI in Sixers decisions. The question prompted some pointed comments from Morris about the longtime NBA executive.

“I don’t trust Daryl Morey. I just don’t trust him,” Morris said (Twitter video link). “I think he’s thinking too far ahead of the way basketball needs to be played. He’s trying to do a whole new team. He’s trying to bring guys in, flipping them in and out, in and out, in and out. Does he even understand the dynamic of being in Philadelphia (and) what guys you need to play in Philadelphia?”

“… You tell my guy (James Harden) that you’re gonna do something for him, a guy that you brought from all these teams, and then you don’t. Like, did AI tell him not to pay James Harden this amount of money? Does the AI tell him to go get Paul George, hire Nick Nurse?

“Does AI tell you to get the guy from Miami, Caleb Martin, because he played well in the Boston series? He can’t shoot the ball. You got three dominant guys that need the ball in their hands. Why is that the first guy that you go get? How did you come up with picking a team? Why do you want to start a brand-new team and try to win a championship? I haven’t seen any team that has 10 new guys be really good the following year. I don’t even know if any team has ever done that.

“I’m just not a fan of how he goes about choosing players and flipping players in and out. It’s kind of like he’s trying to outsmart the game too much.”

Morris, a Philadelphia native, has played under Morey multiple times over the course of his 13-year NBA career and acknowledged that those experiences influence his views on the former Rockets and current Sixers president. Morris said Morey sent him to the G League during his rookie season “for no reason” and then traded him off the 76ers last season for a “bag of chips,” even though he was playing well for his hometown team.

Here are a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world: