COVID-19

Mavs’ Maxi Kleber Enters Protocols

Maxi Kleber has been added to the list of Mavericks players in the NBA’s health and safety protocols, the team’s PR department tweets.

Kleber joins Reggie Bullock and Josh Green in the COVID-19 protocols. Luka Doncic (left ankle soreness), Willie Cauley-Stein (personal reasons) and Eugene Omoruyi (right foot injury) will also miss Tuesday’s game against the Timberwolves. Minnesota has five players in the protocols.

Kristaps Porzingis (toe soreness) is questionable to play.

Kleber played 31 minutes against Minnesota, contributing six points and 14 rebounds. He’s averaging 7.3 PPG and 5.9 RPG.

The Mavs have signed Theo Pinson and are planning to sign Marquese Chriss via the hardship exemption to fortify the roster. Dallas also has two assistant coaches, Jared Dudley and Darrell Armstrong, who have been placed in protocols.

Atlantic Notes: Riller, Celtics, Stevens, Walker, McBride

Grant Riller was waived by the Sixers on Sunday and new details have emerged why that move was made. He’s undergoing right shoulder surgery and will miss the next four-to-six months, Michael Scotto of HoopsHype tweets. Riller was on a two-way contract and could return to Philly next season after he recovers. Riller, a 24-year-old point guard, suffered a torn meniscus in early October and injured the shoulder in a G League game last month.

We have more from the Atlantic Division:

  • Boston has new vaccine requirements for indoor dining, fitness, and entertainment establishments going into effect next month, according to a Boston Globe report. However, all professional athletes are exempt, meaning it won’t have any impact on the Celtics or visiting players, ESPN’s Tim Bontemps tweets. Under the new mandate, proof of at least one vaccine dose will be required after January 15 to enter those facilities except for medical or religious reasons.
  • Brad Stevens has had far more hits than misses in the moves he’s made since becoming president of basketball operations 200 days ago, Chris Forsberg of NBC Sports Boston opines. Forsberg breaks down each transaction while noting that those moves can’t be fully judged until Stevens utilizes the cap flexibility generated by them.
  • Kemba Walker and Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau have not discussed the point guard’s situation since he was removed from the rotation, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post. However, Walker doesn’t want to be a distraction. “I’m not starting, I ain’t playing,” Walker said. “So I’m here for my team, I’m here for my teammates. I can’t say it enough. Whatever’s asked of me that’s what I’m here for.” Walker erupted for 29 points in 37 minutes for the depleted Knicks on Saturday, his first action since Nov. 26.
  • Thibodeau has been impressed by the team’s rookies, particularly guard Miles McBride, Steve Popper of Newsday writes. “The thing that I was most proud of is the way those guys all worked. ,,, they’ve been phenomenal and not just in the way they work but when they were competing in practice,” he said. McBride is currently in the health and safety protocols.

Raptors To Sign Brandon Goodwin, Juwan Morgan; Gary Trent Jr. In Protocols

The Raptors, who have multiple players in the NBA’s health and safety protocols, are signing a pair of replacement players, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter links). Guard Brandon Goodwin and forward Juwan Morgan are getting called up from the G League to join Toronto’s roster, Charania reports.

Pascal Siakam and Dalano Banton entered the health and safety protocols over the weekend and the Raptors also placed Gary Trent Jr. in the protocols today, per Blake Murphy of Sportsnet (Twitter link).

Goodwin, 26, has appeared in 97 NBA games since 2018 for Denver and Atlanta, averaging 4.7 PPG and 1.6 APG in 97 games (11.4 MPG). He has been playing for the Westchester Knicks in the G League this season, putting up 15.3 PPG, 7.0 APG, 5.1 RPG, and 1.9 SPG in seven contests (35.1 MPG) for New York’s affiliate.

Morgan, meanwhile, has averaged 12.6 PPG, 7.0 RPG, and 2.3 APG on .559/.388/.867 shooting in 13 games (31.6 MPG) for the Maine Celtics this season after spending the previous two years with the Jazz. The former Indiana Hoosier has appeared in 50 NBA games, but has been limited mostly to garbage time, averaging 1.4 PPG and 1.1 RPG in 5.6 MPG.

Goodwin and Morgan will sign 10-day contracts, and neither player’s deal will count against Toronto’s team salary for cap or tax purposes.

Timberwolves’ Beverley, Vanderbilt Enter Protocols

The Timberwolves‘ COVID-19 outbreak appears to have affected a couple more players, as Shams Charania of The Athletic reports (via Twitter) that guard Patrick Beverley and forward Jarred Vanderbilt have entered the health and safety protocols.

Beverley and Vanderbilt join Anthony Edwards, Josh Okogie, and Taurean Prince in the protocols, bringing the total number of Wolves players impacted to five.

If Beverley and Vanderbilt have tested positive for COVID-19, they’ll be out for 10 days or until they return two consecutive negative tests at least 24 hours apart.

The news may be of concern to the Mavericks, since both Beverley and Vanderbilt were in the starting lineup when Minnesota faced Dallas on Sunday night. Beverley played almost 31 minutes, while Vanderbilt logged over 38 minutes.

NBA, NBPA Agree To Temporarily Adjust Roster Rules

The NBA and the players’ union reached an agreement on Sunday night to adjust roster rules to address the COVID-19 outbreaks occurring across the league, according to Tim Bontemps and Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

The new rules will go into effect immediately and will remain in place until at least January 19, per ESPN. At that point, the NBA will give teams guidance on how to proceed.

The new rules are as follows:

  1. A team will be permitted to sign a replacement player for each player on its roster who tests for positive for COVID-19. For instance, a team that has five players test positive would be allowed to sign up to five replacement players.
    • As Bobby Marks of ESPN notes (via Twitter), the hardship exception generally requires a team to be missing at least four players before a replacement player can be signed, so the new rule is essentially splitting the hardship rule into two parts — it will remain the same for injured players, but will be available immediately (without the four-player minimum) for COVID-related absences.
  2. A team will be required to sign at least one replacement player if it has two players test positive for COVID-19, at least two replacements if it has three players test positive, and at least three replacements if it has four or more players test positive.
  3. When a team is required to sign a replacement player, the player must be available for the team’s next game.
  4. A player signed as a replacement won’t count toward team salary for cap or tax purposes.
    • This is a significant win for teams like the Nets, who are so far into the tax that they were on the hook for an extra $500K+ for every replacement signing they were making.
  5. A player on a two-way contract will no longer be limited to 50 games on his team’s active roster.
    • A two-way player who was signed in the preseason and exceeds 50 games will earn a salary of $751,682 (up from $462,629), according to Tim Reynolds of The Associated Press (Twitter link).
    • While the rest of the rules on this list could be reversed later in the season, it’s safe to assume this will cover the rest of 2021/22.

The NBA has been forced to postpone seven games within the last week, including Monday’s Raptors/Magic game and Tuesday’s Nets/Wizards contest.

[RELATED: 2021/22 NBA Health And Safety Protocols Tracker]

The hope is that these new rules will help the league avoid postponements going forward, since teams will have the opportunity to act faster to replace players who test positive for COVID-19 and will essentially be forced to sign replacements if multiple players test positive.

Andrew Wiggins Placed In Protocols

Warriors forward Andrew Wiggins has been placed in the NBA’s health and safety protocols, Anthony Slater of The Athletic tweets.

Wiggins is one of several players to enter the league’s protocols this weekend, joining Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving and Trae Young, among many others. He’s also the second Warrior currently in the protocols, along with Jordan Poole.

As a whole, the NBA currently has over 60 players out due to the health and safety protocols. The league also postponed five games earlier today as multiple teams deal with outbreaks.

Wiggins, an eight-year veteran, has played a key role in the Warriors’ success this season. He’s holding per-game averages of 18.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 31.1 minutes, shooting 49% from the floor and 42% from three.

Golden State owns the second-best record in the league at 24-6, though the team is only 6-4 in its last 10 games.

COVID Updates: Josh Green, Ziaire Williams, Okogie, Morant, Carlisle

Mavericks second-year wing Josh Green has entered the league’s health and safety protocols, per Tim MacMahon of ESPN (Twitter link). Green, the 18th overall pick of the 2020 draft, hasn’t seen much action so far this season, appearing in 17 games for a total of 125 minutes (7.4 MPG). He’s averaging 2.4 PPG and 1.5 RPG.

Rookie Ziaire Williams has entered the protocols for the Grizzlies, writes Evan Barnes of the Memphis Commercial Appeal. Williams, the 10th overall pick of the 2021 draft, has also been dealing with an ankle sprain that has sidelined him for the past six games. Through 19 games (17.8 MPG), the 20-year-old is averaging 4.7 PPG and 1.5 RPG.

Timberwolves wing Josh Okogie has entered the protocols as well, the team announced (via Twitter). In 20 contests this season (13.9 MPG), Okogie is averaging 2.6 PPG and 2.2 RPG.

If the three players tested positive, they will need to isolate for at least 10 days or until they return two consecutive negative PCR tests a minimum of 24 hours apart.

Here are a couple more COVID-19 related updates:

  • Grizzlies star Ja Morant has exited the health and safety protocols, Barnes writes in a separate piece. Memphis is taking a “wait and see” approach with its star point guard, as he’s still dealing with a knee sprain suffered in late November. However, Morant is back with the team and will likely be on the bench tonight against Portland, Barnes tweets. The Grizzlies have surprisingly gone 10-1 without Morant and currently hold the fourth seed in the West with a 19-11 record.
  • Head coach Rick Carlisle is back with the Pacers after exiting the health and safety protocols, according to James Boyd of the Indianapolis Star (via Twitter). Carlisle led Indiana’s practice Sunday and is expected to coach the team Tuesday at Miami, Boyd relays.

Northwest Notes: Rivers, Hyland, Bazley, Wolves

Following his first-hand experience with COVID-19, Nuggets guard Austin Rivers is worried about the increased effect it’s having on the league, writes Mike Singer of The Denver Post. Rivers, who was asymptomatic at first, eventually developed body aches, headaches and breathing issues. He was able to return to the court Friday and expressed concern about the toll the virus is taking on many rosters.

“It’s getting a little bit out of hand in the NBA, to be honest with you,” Rivers said. “I don’t know what we gotta do, whether it’s go back to limiting who’s in the arena, or we gotta test every day. We definitely gotta go back, obviously, to testing every day. I think that’s what we’re doing. The numbers are just getting scary at this point. They’ve got all types of variants.”

Rivers played in the bubble setting in Orlando at the end of the 2019/20 season and said no one wants to bring that back. The Nuggets have emphasized responsible behavior to their players and staff members, but Rivers fears that the virus may be uncontrollable.

“What can we do to minimize chances of spread?” he said. “The problem is, a lot of this is on the onus of what you do when you leave the facility. No matter if we test, or mask, no mask, fans, no fans, at the end of the day, when guys go home, you don’t know what they’re doing, you don’t know whether they’re going out. … You’re gonna stop guys from going out? It’s impossible.”

There’s more from the Northwest Division:

  • Rookie guard Bones Hyland said he learned a lesson after being benched for the Nuggets‘ game on Wednesday because of a violation of team rules, Singer adds in a separate story. Hyland and coach Michael Malone didn’t reveal any details about the infraction, but they both indicated it’s part of learning how to be an NBA player. “We’re a better team when Bones Hyland is available,” Malone said Friday. “He knows that. This is a learning process for all young men. Tonight, he’s back with the team, he learned his lesson, and he helps us get a really important road win.”
  • The Thunder pulled Darius Bazley from the starting lineup Saturday for the first time since he was a rookie, tweets Joe Mussatto of The Oklahoman. Coach Mark Daigneault said Bazley accepted the decision “professionally” when he was told about it (Twitter link). “Anytime we make a decision, it’s under the presumption that it’s going to work,” Daigneault said. “If we didn’t think this had the potential to kickstart him and help him reach the capability he has a player, we wouldn’t do it.” (Twitter link)
  • The Timberwolves need another big man next to Karl-Anthony Towns and should be aggressive about pursuing Pacers center Myles Turner, contends La Velle E. Neal III of The Star-Tribune.

Magic-Raptors Off Monday, Nets-Wizards Postponed Tuesday

In addition to the three games postponed on Sunday, the league also announced two more postponements: Magic vs. Raptors on Monday, and Nets vs. Wizards on Tuesday (via Twitter).

The Magic are decimated by injuries and COVID-19 at the moment, hence the postponement. The Nets currently have 10 players in the health and safety protocols, although they did play Saturday night against Orlando, a 100-93 loss. The Nets started three rookies against the Magic, and their bench was comprised entirely of players on 10-day contracts.

As our JD Shaw tweets, part of their reason for the postponements is that many of the players who would receive 10-day contracts via hardship exceptions are participating in the G League showcase event, which makes it difficult to find immediate replacements.

ESPN’s Baxter Holmes tweets that 64 players and two head coaches have entered the league’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols over the past six days, which is approximately 13% of players signed to standard and two-way contracts, according to Bobby Marks of ESPN (via Twitter).

NBA Postpones Three Sunday Games

12:30pm: The NBA has officially postponed three games on Sunday: Cavs-Hawks, Nets-Nuggets, and Pelicans-Sixers, the league announced (via Twitter).


11:30am: The NBA has decided to postpone tonight’s game between the Cavaliers and Hawks, tweets Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. The contest between the Nets and Nuggets has been called off as well, Woj adds (Twitter link), and others may be in jeopardy, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic (Twitter link).

The league is still considering whether to postpone tonight’s matchup between the Pelicans and Sixers, Wojnarowski tweets.

The news comes amid another day of numerous players being put into health and safety protocols, including Cleveland center Jarrett Allen and four of his teammates, along with Atlanta All-Star guard Trae Young. Philadelphia lost Andre Drummond and Shake Milton and already has a depleted roster.

COVID-19 forced multiple postponements last season, especially early on, but the league was able to avoid any schedule interruptions until earlier this week when the short-handed Bulls had games postponed against the Pistons and Raptors.

Multiple teams have seen their rosters decimated by the virus over the past few days, so more postponements could be coming. It’s particularly distressing for the league that this outbreak is happening so close to Christmas Day, which is an annual showcase. Among the teams scheduled to play on December 25, the Knicks, Celtics, Bucks, Nets and Lakers are especially short-handed.