Knicks Rumors

Knicks’ Julius Randle Fined $25K By NBA

Knicks star Julius Randle has been fined $25,000 by the NBA for the egregious use of profane language during media interviews, the league announced in a press release. Randle made his comments after the team’s practice on Wednesday and after the club’s game against Boston this week.

Randle originally said that he “doesn’t give a s–t” about the outside criticism the Knicks have faced this season, as relayed by Mark Sanchez of the New York Post. According to the New York Post’s Mark Berman, the second half of his remarks came when he explained why he gave a “thumbs down” to fans at Madison Square Garden on Thursday.

New York defeated Boston 108-105 in the contest, recording an important home win. For his part, Randle finished with 22 points, eight rebounds and two steals, shooting 8-of-20 from the floor and recording a plus-14 net rating. The two teams will meet again on Saturday night in Boston.

On the season, Randle has averaged 19.6 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.9 assists per game. New York owns the 10th-best record in the East at 19-20.

Knicks Notes: Randle, Rose, Robinson

Perhaps taking a cue from Mets players who directed thumbs-down gestures toward home fans who booed them in 2021, Knicks forward Julius Randle gave a thumbs-down signal following a basket in the second half of Thursday’s comeback win over Boston, as Marc Berman writes for The New York Post.

Asked after the game what message he was hoping to convey, Randle didn’t mince words: “To shut the f–k up.”

The veteran forward hinted that it may have been a response to Knicks fans booing the team earlier the game, when the Celtics built a big lead.

“You saw that,” Randle said. “You saw what was going on with that. Forget. Forget.”

Here’s more on the Knicks:

  • Derrick Rose had been on crutches and away from the Knicks since undergoing ankle surgery on December 22, but he’s set to return the club’s practice facility to begin his rehab process, head coach Tom Thibodeau said on Thursday. “Rehab is his game right now,” Thibodeau said (link via Berman). “He just got cleared to start his physical therapy. Everything is going well. Put everything you have into that. Once it’s good for him to get out there, he’ll get out.”
  • Asked in a mailbag about Mitchell Robinson‘s potential future in New York, Ian Begley of SNY.tv said there are decision-makers in the organization who “don’t love what they’ve seen” from the young center this season. As Begley notes, Thibodeau recently stated that Robinson is still “behind” in his conditioning, suggesting the team believes he could be in better shape. The 23-year-old will be an unrestricted free agent at season’s end.
  • In case you missed it, we passed along a few more Knicks notes on Thursday.

Knicks Notes: Randle, Toppin, Fournier, Trade Deadline, Barrett

After a slow start to the season, Knicks All-Star forward Julius Randle says he’s not concerned with the reactions from the media or fans, writes Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News.

I really don’t give a f— what anybody has to say, to be honest,” Randle said Wednesday. “I’m out there playing. Nobody knows the game out there better than I do, compared to what everybody has to say. So I really don’t give a s—. I just go out there and play.”

Randle scored 30 points, grabbed 16 rebounds and dished out four assists in New York’s 104-94 victory over Indiana on Tuesday, his first game back after contracting COVID-19. His season averages of 19.6 PPG, 10.1 RPG, and 4.9 APG on .423/.327/.767 shooting are down from last season’s All-Star campaign, when he averaged 24.1 PPG, 10.2 RPG, and 6.0 APG on .456/.411/.811 shooting.

Here’s more on the Knicks:

  • In a member-only article for the New York Post, Marc Berman spoke to NBA experts to explore what has been hindering Obi Toppin‘s three-point shot. The second-year forward has carved out a rotational role off the bench this season, but is shooting just 21.1% from deep on 1.7 attempts per game.
  • Free agent addition Evan Fournier had been struggling of late, but coach Tom Thibodeau didn’t consider sending him to the bench, according to Mark W. Sanchez of the New York Post. “Not really,” Thibodeau said Wednesday, when asked if he had considered trying Fournier with the second unit. Never known for his defense, Fournier was shooting a career-low 40.3% from the field through 37 games this season, all starts. “Even when he’s not shooting, he spaces the floor for us, so I do like that aspect,” Thobodeau said. “The one thing [is] about trying to get our second unit to stay intact as much as we can. Those guys have played really well together for a while now.” Fournier justified Thibodeau’s faith by erupting for 41 points against Boston on Thursday.
  • Thibodeau was a driving force behind the team signing Fournier in the offseason, sources tell Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report, who explores moves the Knicks might consider making at the trade deadline. Fischer notes that the Knicks have had internal discussions about acquiring Ben Simmons, but they’ve never called the Sixers with any type of deal structure, according to league sources. Fischer also writes that freeing a roster spot by becoming involved in the Rajon Rondo trade gives New York added flexibility ahead of the deadline.
  • In order for the Knicks to become a legitimate title contender, the team needs 21-year-old RJ Barrett to develop into a star, Ian O’Connor of the New York Post opines. Like Randle, Barrett had a strong performance on Tuesday, scoring 32 points, but his shooting percentages are down this season compared to last. Barrett banked in a game-winning three at the buzzer to beat the Celtics 108-105 on Thursday night.

Ryan Arcidiacono Signs 10-Day Contract With Knicks

Two days after his hardship contract with the Knicks was voided by the NBARyan Arcidiacono has signed a regular 10-day deal, the team announced via Twitter.

New York originally reached a 10-day contract with Arcidiacono on Monday under the league’s hardship provision. However, once Mitchell Robinson and Jericho Sims cleared the health and safety protocols, the Knicks only had two players remaining in the protocols and already had two hardship additions on their roster.

Wednesday marked the first day that teams were permitted to begin signing players to conventional 10-day deals. New York had an open roster spot after waiving Wayne Selden and Denzel Valentine this week.

Arcidiacono, 27, spent his first four seasons with the Bulls, averaging 4.8 points, 2.0 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 207 games. He signed a training camp deal with the Celtics in September, but was waived before the start of the season and has been playing for Boston’s G League affiliate in Maine.

And-Ones: Newley, Jenkins, Spoelstra, Protocols, Draft

While fans may gloss over the names of draft-rights players included as placeholders in minor NBA trades, the players themselves certainly take notice, even if they don’t expect to ever play in the NBA. Australian wing Brad Newley, who never came stateside after being selected in the second round of the 2007 draft, is one of those players — he had his rights sent from the Lakers to the Knicks in the three-team Rajon Rondo trade earlier this week.

The deal gave Newley an opportunity to reconnect with Knicks president of basketball operations Leon Rose, who was his agent when he first entered the draft 14 years ago, according to Mike Vorkunov of The Athletic. Newley knows he won’t ever play for the Knicks, but he and Rose remain friends, and he joked that he’d be ready if he gets the call.

“If the Knicks are rebuilding around a 36-year-old, I’m not sure,” he told Vorkunov. “But I’m open to anything.”

Newley admitted in his conversation with Vorkunov that he probably didn’t prioritize the NBA enough earlier in his career, but he was happy to spend his career playing in international leagues and said he doesn’t have any regrets.

“I played the whole of my career in Europe as a stash guy, thought maybe one day you’d get a chance, but I was on some pretty good contracts over there,” Newley said. “So the NBA, at that time, the guarantees weren’t around as much as they are now, with the way things operate. It would be interesting if you could rewind and do it all again, it might be done a little bit different.”

Let’s round up a few more odds and ends from around the basketball world…

  • Taylor Jenkins of the Grizzlies and Erik Spoelstra of the Heat were named the NBA’s December Coaches of the Month for the West and East, respectively, the league announced on Tuesday (Twitter link). Jenkins led Memphis to a 12-4 record despite missing star guard Ja Morant for 10 games, while Spoelstra navigated a series of injuries and COVID-19 cases to lead Miami to a 10-5 mark.
  • In an Insider-only story, Kevin Pelton of ESPN looked into which teams have been hit the hardest by the health and safety protocols this year, concluding that the Cavaliers, Sixers, and Bucks have lost more WARP (wins above replacement player) than any other clubs so far. Zach Kram of The Ringer explored the other side of the health and safety equation, examining how the players signed using hardship exceptions have performed and how they’re affecting the NBA.
  • Looking ahead to the 2022 NBA draft, ESPN’s Jonathan Givony and Mike Schmitz (Insider link) profiled some players whose stocks are rising, including Iowa’s Keegan Murray and Wisconsin’s Johnny Davis, while Jonathan Wasserman of Bleacher Report has published a new mock draft.

Atlantic Notes: Walker, Johnson, Tatum, VanVleet

Though Knicks point guard Kemba Walker just missed his third consecutive game (a 104-94 win over the Pacers) due to left knee soreness, team doctors have determined that there is no structural damage to the ligament that would require surgery, per Steve Popper of Newsday.

“He warmed up in OKC, tweaked something,” Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau said. “He’s got some soreness so we’ll let it clear up and then we’ll go from there.”

Thibodeau removed Walker, who had begun the 2021/22 season as a starter, from New York’s lineup entirely in late November. COVID-19 and injury absences necessitated a pivot, and Walker played well in his return. During his six games back, Walker averaged 19.3 PPG, 6.5 RPG and 6.0 APG for the Knicks.

There’s more out of the Atlantic Division:

  • Celtics All-Star wing Jayson Tatum discussed his experience with 40-year-old veteran swingman Joe Johnson, a former seven-time All-Star signed by Boston to a 10-day hardship exception. The team opted to not sign Johnson to a second 10-day deal after his first expired. “We all enjoyed the time that he was here,” Tatum said, per Jared Weiss of The Athletic (Twitter link). “The ultimate professional and somebody a lot of us look up to and obviously, we would have loved to [have] kept him around.” Johnson played in just one game during his 10 days with the team, scoring on his only field goal attempt. Tatum said that Johnson continues to watch Celtics games and that he and Johnson still text each other.
  • Tatum also noted that his body is in better shape returning from COVID-19 protocols this season, Mark Murphy of the Boston Herald tweets. The Celtics forward was hit hard by the novel coronavirus during the 2020/21 NBA season. “I feel a lot better with everything,” Tatum said, per Murphy. “My quarantine was shorter, my body feels a lot better, comparing my first couple of days back practicing than last year when I first came back.”
  • Raptors point guard Fred VanVleet is letting his play do the talking, emerging as a legitimate candidate to be named to his first All-Star team this season, writes Nekias Duncan of Basketball News. Duncan observes that VanVleet is one of just three Eastern Conference guards, along with James Harden and Trae Young, averaging at least 20 PPG and 6 APG, while boasting a True Shooting percentage of 58% or higher. VanVleet is averaging 21.3 PPG, 6.7 APG, and 4.9 RPG, with a 58.5% true shooting percentage, across 31 games. The 27-year-old, who won a title with Toronto in 2019, boasts an overall shooting line of .441/.405/.880.

COVID-19 Updates: Noel, Hornets, Pacers, Ingles, Reed, Bucks, Metu

Knicks center Nerlens Noel has cleared the NBA’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols, per New York’s PR team (Twitter link). Noel entered the protocols in late December.

The 6’11” big man has only appeared in 17 contests, starting 10, for New York so far this season. The 27-year-old out of Kentucky is averaging 3.5 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 1.5 BPG and 1.1 SPG across 23.1 MPG. Knee injuries kept Noel absent for much of the start of the 2021/22 season. He signed a lucrative three-year, $32MM contract with the Knicks during the offseason.

Here are a few more protocol-related updates:

COVID-19 Updates: Randle, Williams, Nurkic, Burke, Bradley

Knicks forward Julius Randle has exited the NBA’s health and safety protocols, the team announced today (via Twitter). Randle, who only entered the protocols last Thursday, will be listed as questionable for Tuesday night’s game vs. Indiana.

The Knicks were hit hard in December by COVID-19, but are in pretty decent shape for the time being. Nerlens Noel is the only player on the roster who is still in the protocols.

Here are more protocol-related updates from around the NBA:

  • Suns head coach Monty Williams has cleared the COVID-19 protocols and will return to the club for Tuesday’s game against New Orleans, sources tell Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN. Kevin Young, who temporarily replaced Williams as Phoenix’s head coach, will revert to his assistant role.
  • Trail Blazers center Jusuf Nurkic broke the news on Monday that he had cleared the health and safety protocols and would be back in Portland’s starting lineup. He logged 26 minutes on Monday in his first game since December 21.
  • Mavericks guard Trey Burke took part in the team’s shootaround on Monday, a pretty good indication that he has exited the protocols, tweets Brad Townsend of The Dallas Morning News. Burke didn’t play on Monday, but could be back later this week.
  • Bulls center Tony Bradley apparently cleared the protocols on Monday, having been listed as out due to return to competition conditioning on the team’s injury report.

NBA Voids Knicks’ 10-Day Deal With Ryan Arcidiacono

The NBA has disapproved the Knicks‘ 10-day contract with Ryan Arcidiacono, which was announced on Monday, according to Fred Katz of The Athletic (Twitter link).

With Mitchell Robinson and Jericho Sims out of the health and safety protocols and Wayne Selden no longer on the roster, New York has just two players left in the protocols: Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle.

Teams are permitted to sign a hardship replacement for each player they have in the protocols, and the Knicks already had Damyean Dotson and Matt Mooney on 10-day deals, making them ineligible to sign a third replacement player.

Fortunately for Arcidiacono, it doesn’t sound as if the Knicks intend to move on from him. As of Wednesday, teams can begin signing players to non-hardship 10-day contracts using an open spot on their 15-man rosters, and New York doesn’t have a 15th man after cutting Selden and Denzel Valentine.

According to Ian Begley of SNY.tv (Twitter link), the Knicks are still expected to sign Arcidiacono in the coming days. If New York has to put another player in the protocols, a 10-day deal via hardship remains a possibility for Arcidiacono, but if not, the team could simply sign him to a traditional 10-day contract.

And-Ones: Tolliver, Millsap, Bezhanishvili, Hernandez

Veteran forward Anthony Tolliver signed a 10-day contract with the Pelicans under the hardship exception the day after Christmas. However, Tolliver tested positive for COVID-19 and the contract was voided. He has now cleared protocols and is eligible to be signed immediately, Will Guillory of The Athletic tweets. Tolliver played for the Sixers last season.

We have more news from the basketball world:

  • Former NBA guard Elijah Millsap has signed a NBA G League contract and is expected to join the College Park Skyhawks, the Hawks’ affiliate, JD Shaw of Hoops Rumors tweets. Millsap, the brother of Brooklyn Nets veteran Paul Millsap, played 69 games in the NBA, though his last appearance came during the 2016/17 season.
  • Grand Rapids Gold forward Giorgi Bezhanishvili could be on the radar for a 10-day contract, Shaw tweets. He has averaged 16.4 PPG and 8.6 RPG in his last eight contests for the Nuggets’ affiliate.
  • Former Raptors center Dewan Hernandez has signed a G League contract and has been acquired by the Westchester Knicks, Shaw adds in another tweet. Hernandez played six NBA games during the 2019/20 season.