Pablo Prigioni

Knicks Shop Prigioni, Clippers, Pistons Interested

SUNDAY, 12:35pm: The Pistons are among the teams to show exploratory interest in Prigioni, in wake of losing Brandon Jennings to injury, according to Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter link).

THURSDAY, 8:53am: The Clippers have held an interest in Prigioni, a source tells Zagoria, adding that the Clips don’t have the second-round pick New York is looking for. The earliest second-round pick that the Clippers can guarantee New York is for 2019. The point guard has drawn interest from three or four European clubs, agent Claudio Villanueva told Jorge Sierra of HoopsHype, though Villanueva cautioned that he and his client haven’t pursued those possibilities and that they’re not worried about his situation in New York.

WEDNESDAY, 1:17pm: The Knicks would like to trade Pablo Prigioni in exchange for a second-round pick, reports Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv (Twitter link). The 37-year-old point guard doesn’t have much of a role at present, having fallen out of the team’s rotation the past three games, and he’s not a part of the club’s future, either, according to Zagoria. He’s making nearly $1.663MM this season, but his salary of almost $1.735MM for next season is only partially guaranteed for $290K.

New York reportedly considered attaching Prigioni to a deal that would unload Wayne Ellington this past summer. Knicks officials were apparently nonetheless fond of Prigioni, though it seems they continued to mull trading him even after they were able to keep him when they shipped Elliington to the Kings. The Knicks opened the season with playoff aspirations, but their need for an aging backup isn’t great with the team at 6-36. New York is reportedly shopping starter Jose Calderon, but Shane Larkin has moved ahead of Prigioni on the Knicks depth chart.

It appeared this past summer that the Jazz were in the mix for Prigioni as the Knicks and Kings looked for a third team to facilitate the Ellington trade. It’s unclear whether Utah still has any interest, even in the wake of Tuesday’s announcement that shooting guard Rodney Hood will be out until at least the All-Star break. Prigioni had been seeing fairly consistent minutes before his recent downturn in playing time, and he’s averaged 4.8 points, a career high, in 19.1 minutes per game this season.

Knicks Notes: Smith, Prigioni, Galloway

Carmelo Anthony believes that the trade that sent J.R. Smith to the Cavaliers was the best thing that could have happened to the former Knicks guard, Marc Berman of The New York Post writes. “I’ve seen him play a couple of games,’’ Anthony said. “He’s playing well. I know the type of game he has and what he can do. He looks comfortable out there, looks like he’s settling in very well. I’m actually happy for him — a change of environment for him, a new thought process, new mindset mentally. It looks like he has some clarity right now. I believe LeBron [James] will help him make that adjustment that much better.’’

Here’s more out of the Big Apple:

  • ‘Melo didn’t necessarily dispute Smith’s parting statement that the Knicks’ players were “walking on eggshells” under the franchise’s new regime, Berman adds. “I don’t know exactly what he meant by that,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve heard him say that before in conversations we’ve had. Anytime something is new, trying to incorporate something, everybody’s trying to do the right things, so it can be a tense situation where you can feel like walking on eggshells. Because you don’t want to do the wrong thing. You want to impress the coaches, want to impress the front office, impress your teammates. If that’s what he’s coming from that standpoint, I agree with it.’’
  • With 10-day signee Langston Galloway continuing to impress, Pablo Prigioni has seen his playing time wither, but that doesn’t necessarily mean the veteran is done with the team, Berman adds. “I don’t think it’s where we are in the season,’’ coach Derek Fisher said. “It’s just continuing to find ways to help the team be successful. Sometimes that means personnel changes and adjustments. It’s the way it’s working right now. It doesn’t mean it will stay that way. It’s just the way the last couple of games have worked. If I feel it’s something that can stay that way for a while, I’d try to pull them to the side and let them know it’s the direction we’re going.” The Knicks are reportedly looking to deal Prigioni for a second round draft pick.
  • Clarence Gaines Jr., team president Phil Jackson‘s top adviser, deserves much of the credit for bringing Galloway to New York, Berman writes in a separate article. Gaines first noticed Galloway during a pre-draft camp last spring, and he believed the undrafted rookie fit the profile of the type of player whom Jackson sought, Berman adds.

Atlantic Notes: Jackson, Galloway, Celtics

The Knicks still have an interest in acquiring Reggie Jackson from the Thunder, but New York likely lacks the assets to entice Oklahoma City into dealing the guard, who will become a restricted free agent at season’s end, Jon Hamm of The Oklahoman writes. The only Knicks players that the Thunder may be interested in, Pablo Prigioni and Jose Calderon, offer significant downsides, Hamm notes. Calderon’s contract is unappealing, and Prigioni’s age (37), make any deal for them with OKC unlikely, adds Hamm.

Here’s the latest out of the Atlantic Division:

  • Newly-signed Langston Galloway had two things going for him that the Knicks liked: He’s well-versed in the triangle and he completed his college career, Marc Berman of The New York Post writes. “Langston is mature for a young player, gone to school for four years,’’ coach Derek Fisher said. “Not being afraid of the moment as a young guy was really impressive over the summer. He’s done some good things in Westchester [D-League] so far that tell us he is a guy who can develop into a good pro player. We’re excited to have him here for a short period. He’s going to try to make the most of it.’’
  • Knicks team president Phil Jackson hasn’t given up on Calderon, in spite of speculation that he’ll be the next player the team trades, so it’s more likely the Knicks would let go of backup Prigioni instead, Berman writes in a separate piece.
  • One of the Celtics‘ remaining trade assets who could be in demand is veteran forward Jeff Green. Jesse Blancarte of Basketball Insiders runs down a number of possible deals that Boston can make should it decide to trade Green. Hoops Rumors’ Chuck Myron also looked at Green’s market in our Trade Candidate series.
  • The $490K that remained from the $2.09MM trade exception that the Celtics had created last January from the Courtney Lee to Memphis trade expired today. Also expiring is the $884,293 trade exception that the Thunder created from the same deal for sending Ryan Gomes to Boston.
  • Tony Wroten was rumored to be a part of the Sixers’ deal with the Clippers for Jared Cunningham, but for now, Wroten remains in Philadelphia. But Los Angeles is still interested in acquiring the guard, and the teams are having preliminary discussions regarding a possible trade, John Gonzalez of CSNPhilly.com reports. Wroten said that he’d like to remain in Philly, but he’s flattered that other teams are interested in him, Gonzalez adds. “I’m auditioning for everybody,” Wroten said. “But I was blessed and fortunate enough, with a few guys, who got to stay on this team. It’s like you feel wanted. I continue to play for the lovely fans and the lovely community and see where it takes us.

Knicks Still Considering Pablo Prigioni Trade

The Knicks are still considering trading Pablo Prigioni, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.com. Frank Isola of the New York Daily News initially tweeted that New York was still open to trading Prigioni while the Knicks trade with the Kings was still unfolding earlier today. In a separate tweet, Stein adds that those trade discussions at one point included the option of sending Prigioni, along with Travis Outlaw and a draft pick, to the Jazz as a facilitating third team.

New York’s remaining willingness to part with Prigioni contradicts an earlier report from Stein that said the Knicks were fond of the point guard, and only considered trading him as an incentive for another team to take on Wayne Ellington‘s contract. Ellington has already been shipped off, so perhaps New York’s fondness of Prigioni is measured.

Prigioni has played two seasons in New York, coming to the NBA for the 2012/13 season after a successful career in Europe. The 37-year-old was a reliable backup last year, but his skills maybe viewed as expendable by Knicks president Phil Jackson, who’s helping new coach Derek Fisher install the triangle offense. The Knicks acquired point guards Jose Calderon and Shane Larkin from the Mavs the day before the draft, and Iman Shumpert is a combo guard who remains on the roster despite trade speculation dating back to last season.

And-Ones: Prigioni, Wolves, Adams

Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo believes many may have missed the point of Mark Cuban’s tirade against the International Olympic Committee, writes Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Still, Colangelo didn’t weigh in on whether or not he agreed with Cuban’s stance, as Price notes, though he emphasized that NBA owners aren’t allowed to dissuade their players from joining their national teams as long as they’re healthy enough to play at the outset.

I think people need to read between the lines, which is basically he’s not against international competition,” Colangelo said. “He’s against international competition when he believes the beneficiary — being the IOC — is getting the money. So he’s basically saying it’s OK for our players to play internationally if the money goes to the NBA and to the team owners. That’s the difference.”

As Paul George‘s injury shines a spotlight on the relationship between national teams and the NBA, here’s more from around the league:

  • The Knicks are fond of Pablo Prigioni, tweets Marc Stein of ESPN.com, even though they’re thinking of packaging him in a deal that would send Wayne Ellington away. It simply appears as though the Knicks won’t be able to find a taker for Ellington by himself, as Stein explains.
  • The Wolves have 15 fully guaranteed deals, as our roster counts show, but they hope to create a spot for Glenn Robinson III, who remains unsigned after Minnesota drafted him 40th overall this summer, notes Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune (Twitter link). There’s a chance they’d be able to accomplish that if they offload more players than they receive in a Kevin Love trade.
  • There are bonuses tied to Jordan Adams‘ body fat percentage in his rookie scale contract with the Grizzlies, reports Mark Deeks of ShamSports. It’s an odd incentive clause for this year’s No. 22 overall pick, though it’s not unprecedented, since Marcus Williams once had body-fat stipulations in his deal, too, as Deeks points out (Twitter links).

Eddie Scarito contributed to this post.

And-Ones: Prigioni, Scalabrine, Celtics

The Knicks are trying to trade Wayne Ellington and Pablo Prigioni in order to create roster room and alleviate the overcrowding in their backcourt, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com (Twitter links). New York was originally trying to trade Ellington on his own, notes Stein, but have been weighing adding Prigioni to any deal in order to create more interest.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/05/6021232/cubans-comments-gets-colangelos.html?storylink=addthis#.U-GIdVAPews.twitter&rh=1#storylink=cpy

Here’s more from around the league:

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/08/05/6021232/cubans-comments-gets-colangelos.html?storylink=addthis#.U-GIdVAPews.twitter&rh=1#storylink=cpy
  • The Warriors offered Brian Scalabrine the chance to rejoin the team as an assistant coach this summer after hiring Steve Kerr as head coach, as Scalabrine said today in a radio appearance on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston (transcription via Diamond Leung of the Bay Area News Group). Scalabrine, whom the team demoted after a high-profile clash with former head man Mark Jackson, turned Golden State down to instead take a broadcasting gig with the Celtics.
  • Agent Marc Cornstein doesn’t foresee having to find a new deal soon for client Chris Johnson, who’s on a non-guaranteed contract with the Celtics. “So far, everything has been positive,” Cornstein told A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com. “We’re well aware of the roster additions. He has a great relationship with the Celtics organization and the coaching staff and as I said, everything we have heard thus far as been positive so we’re cautiously optimistic about his future with the Celtics.
  • Blakely casts the possibility that Chris Babb remains with the Celtics as unlikely, given the guard’s poor summer league showing. Babb is also on a non-guaranteed deal.

Chuck Myron contributed to this post.

And-Ones: Scott, Prigioni, Parker

While he believes that Byron Scott is a good coach, Tom Ziller of SB Nation doesn’t think Scott will solve the Lakers problems. Ziller also believes Los Angeles made a “typical coaching carousel signing” in picking up Scott, whom Ziller describes as “an undervalued, affordable coach” despite the team’s ability to afford any coach they wanted.

Here’s more from around the league:

  • Donatas Motiejunas, when discussing former teammate Chandler Parsons who left the Rockets to sign a three-year, $46.08MM deal with the Mavericks, told Simonas Baranauskas of Lithuania Basket (Twitter link), “He’s a good player, but would it be logical for management to pay him more than James Harden?” Houston declined to match the offer sheet Parsons had signed with the Mavs.
  • With the NBA discussing extending the All-Star break to seven days, Zach Lowe of Grantland (Twitter links) thinks the league should first look to adjust the amount of regular season games played, and doesn’t think the longer break would be a positive if it meant more back-to-back games, or beginning the season at an earlier date.
  • Pablo Prigioni is glad to be re-united with former Spanish League teammate Jose Calderon on the Knicks, writes Marc Berman of The New York Post. Prigioni believes Calderon will be able to help New York, saying, “We played together in Spain and we did really well. He is a great player and very good professional, a great 3-point shooting guy. He can run the team and read the game very well and is a good defender. He has all that a good point guard must have.”
  • In the same article, Prigioni also expressed his positive feelings towards Carmelo Anthony re-signing with the Knicks, saying, “When I saw Melo re-sign, the first thing I did was send him a message saying that I was so happy to have a chance to still play with him. And I told him that I’m sure we will play much better next season.”
  • Bill Ingram of Basketball Insiders believes that Bucks first-rounder Jabari Parker will have the biggest impact of any rookie this coming season, as well as take home Rookie Of The Year honors.

Eastern Notes: Wade, George, 76ers

Heat superstar Dwyane Wade, like teammate LeBron James, can potentially opt out next summer and become a free agent, but told reporters on Thursday that there really isn't much to make of it right now and made it clear about where he stood: "Everyone knows where I want to be…That's what it's all about to me, is making sure we focus on this season, winning this championship…I want to be in Miami and I have nothing else to talk about. So there won't be (any) exciting news over here" (Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel). Wade also touches upon his health and is excited about the addition of center Greg Oden. Here's more out of the Eastern Conference tonight: 

Odds & Ends: Pacers, Billups, Mavs, Reinsdorf

The Mavs have had a busy offseason, since there was so much turnaround after loading up on expiring contracts last season with a chance to nab Dwight Howard or Josh Smith in free agency this summer. Since they failed to land any of the upper-tier free agents, they decided to surround 35-year-old Dirk Nowitzki with mid-tier acquisitions in an attempt to get Dirk a second title, but without spending their way out of contending for the free agents next summer when Dirk, Shawn Marion and others have their contract's expire.

Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram listed all the Mavericks from last season who will be playing on different rosters next season (Twitter): O.J. Mayo is on the Bucks, Elton Brand and Jared Cunningham joined the Hawks, Darren Collison signed with the Clippers, Chris Kaman joined the Lakers after they failed to re-sign Howard, and Anthony Morrow joined an improved Pelicans team. Two former Mavs are still unsigned, though, as Price tweets: Rodrigue Beaubois and Mike James

Here are a few more tidbits as the NBA comes up on the end of the free agency period…

Eastern Notes: Monroe, Knicks, White, Heat

Let's round up a few Wednesday morning items from around the Eastern Conference….